27 March 2008

Another Day, Another Card


Hello all!!!


I thought I'd give myself a day's break between blog entries. And as usual, this entry begins with another card. I've been on a bit of a roll this week.


This card was for the weekly Sketch Challenge on SCS. I love sketch challenges as it means all I have to do is come up with the stamps I want to use and the colours - I don't have to figure out where everything has to go!!!!!! I particularly like the layers in this sketch. They're all just a little bit off centre which gives the overall card a very balanced look, surprisingly enough.


Anyway, I tried a new technique with this card - "out of the box" - basically, the main image is stamped then cut so I have my straight edge border on each side up to the flowers, then I cut around the flowers so it looks like their "out of the box" so to speak. (Goodness, I don't know if I've explained that very well at all!!!!!!). Anyway, it was my first attempt at the technique and I think I need to practice some more, but overall, I'm happy with the result.


I decided to use blues on this card as I always tend to lean towards pinks and purples. Especially when I'm stamping flowers. Well, I hope you like my card.


I've had an up and down sort of week this week. Stamping and card making and work have all been fine and dandy. But I've had some sad news too. A lovely man I used to work with in my previous job unfortunately, succumbed to the big C this week. I know he'd been ill and well, it's horrible to say, but it was just a matter of time. But, even knowing that, doesn't make it any easier when it happens.


He was a funny bloke - I could always have a laugh with him. Usually it was at either his expense or my expense, but he was just so good natured, quietly spoken and just an all round good guy. He will be greatly missed by his wife and children and his many friends. I'm in the process of making a Sympathy card for his family and I will post it here when I've finished. These cards are always difficult to make and are usually the cards we make only when we "have" to. I want this one to be special, so I'm taking my time and thinking very carefully about design and colour.


Well, I don't want to end on a sad note - my old mate wouldn't care for that at all!!!!! So, happy stamping to you all, and I'll leave you with this thought from Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back (yes, I AM that nerdy!!!!!!!) "Do, or do not. There is no try."


Cheers!!!!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Beautiful card - love all your trimming for the butterflies and flowers and the colors are fantastic! Sorry about your friend, but I did giggle when you quoted Yoda. I'm sure I'll be back, you've got a lovely blog!